2.27.2009

Friday Favorite

Photobucket

I was busy getting ready for a Hollywood themed online crop this weekend and was looking up some Marilyn pictures and quotes for my profile and thought a few of them are worth sharing!

  • I don't know who invented high heels, but all women owe him a lot.
  • I have too many fantasies to be a housewife.... I guess I am a fantasy.
  • Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul. I know, because I turned down the first offer often enough and held out for the fifty.
  • Looking back, I guess I used to play-act all the time. For one thing, it meant I could live in a more interesting world than the one around me.

And my personal favorite...

  • Imperfection is beauty, maddness is genius and it's better to be absolutely rediculous than absolutely boring.

I've always been a huge Marilyn fan. I have all her tapes (VHS, you remember, right? Those bulky black cartridges that contained movies. Ya know, before DVD's were invented? Remember?) Posters, purses, other little collectibles. I've always been intriguged by her wit, guile and vulnerability. She was much smarter than people gave her credit for. Marilyn was so much smarter than the bumbling buxom blonde she played in films. She wanted to be a serious actress, not the dumb blonde, even though she was an incredible comedic talent. Unfortunately, she was unable to out run her demons and committed suside at the young age of 36.

One of her good friends, Shelley Winters, once said of her "If she'd been dumber, she'd have been happier." Marilyn wanted to be so much more than the character that had brought her fame.

And perhaps without dying so young, shrowded in mystery, she never would have become the sex symbol she is today. Although, I hate to call her a sex symbol, since it was the very thing she fought so hard not to become.

Have a fabulous Friday!


Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails