3.09.2010

I Restore Myself When I'm Alone



Yes, 
it's that time again and Julia has a great question for us this week!!

How do you regain focus and perspective on being away from your kids/family for work? How do you refresh and get back on track when life seems to get you down?

Good question, right?  I mean, how does anyone do it?  Deal with stress.  Kids or not, we all have to deal with it.  You grow up with a rosy disposition, thinking things are all butterflies and roses.  You are tossed into the big ole world, if you are lucky enough (or coddled, if you aren't) and you get up every day and you just do it.  

Thats not to say I don't know my share of people (mostly Hubs friends... great influences) all on the upside of their 20's that still live at home and play World of Warcraft all day.  Okay, maybe only two or three of his friends, but still!  

Being a parent makes you grow up immensely fast,  No matter your actual age.  No one is EVER fully prepared for it.  You plan and think you are ready and BAM! Baby makes three (or four or however many...)  You get by.  You take each day as it comes.  Get up every morning and hope that what you are doing is enough.  

And let me tell you, you will never think it is.  At least I don't.  In fact, most of the moms I know don't think they are "enough."  I say, do your kids love you? Yes? Than you are enough.  Love is always enough.  (And its taken me a LONG time to learn that.) Saying it is so easy...

Anyway, I'm getting a little off topic.  I guess that kind of answers the whole deal on "focus" huh? LOL!   I guess, for me, crafts are a big one. And being outside.  As much as I can.  I know, it sounds juvenile, but its true.  I can even tell a difference in Goose when she gets time outside. So, as long as its not raining... I we try to be outside as much as possible.  

When I was younger, I played sports.  Fastpitch specifically.  But I can always remember being out doors.  Playing in the woods, camping... a total tom boy.  I feel a little at peace when I am able to reconnect with that part of myself.   My inner child!

Even at work, I try to get outside for at least 15 minutes a day.  I walk up the hill by my office and back.  It's just a nice distraction.  A break in the day... 

This time of year is my favorite.  Sunny yet still and crisp and cold.  The air has a certain bite... a taste that lingers in your lungs, stings with every breath.  Feeling the warm sunshine and seeing the new growth on the trees, the budding tulips... birds chirping... Woah... I was really feeling that. Hehehe...

I guess, first and foremost, I try not to forget me.  I try to get my time.  Even if it is that 15 minute walk.  Somedays, thats the only time I get to be really along. Introspective.  Sure... I have "time" at home, but there is always someone else home, so its not really "alone" time.  

And sometimes... I even take a few minutes to slip out of the house and go to the store.  Groceries, the dollar store.  I don't really ever buy much.  I just like to wander up and down the isles.  Without making conversation.  

"What's that?"

"Mommy! I want that!"

"Goose! Stop touching!"

"Where did your dad go NOW?!"

"I wanna go-oooooO!"

So while I have to steal alone time to compose myself and regain what little sanity I have left, as far as life is concerned, I just get up every morning and do it.  Because thats life.  Because I know hope that what I'm are doing is enough. Even if it never is. And I do it because I hope it all pays off in the end.  Ultimately though, I am the one who decides if my work is actually paying off. I like to think my hard work, my husbands hard work, the hard work of the "village" raising our child IS paying off.  

And maybe you, like I, didn't understand the sacrifices your OWN parents made for you.  Well, that is, until you had kids of your own.  I know I didn't.  

Like I said, you can prepare, but you are never ready.

Just get up everyday. 

And KNOW that it's enough!


Did I answer the question? I don't even know.  It's late. I'm tired.  I may have to re-evaluate this post after I read it in the morning.  Honestly, at this hour, I'm not sure if I am making any sense at all!

1 comment:

Julia Ladewski said...

i know. i love craft time too (obviously) but evenings were my craft time and now i work evenings. anyway, it's deifnitely nice to unwind outside too. thanks for jumping in. i hope you are doing well!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails